Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Examining the Benoit Tragedy


I think most of us, just like the WWE had a quick and strong reaction to the recent Benoit tragedy; wrestling had just lost a great star and we were shocked and overwhelmed. I learned of the tragedy right as RAW began and it truly shocked me. I was quick like the rest of bloggers and wrestling sites in paying tribute and memory to the losses. I tried to not think the worst when the original story came out. There were recent news stories involving fathers killing their families and then themselves and made me speculate. The 3-hour Raw tribute on USA was originally-fitting but as more and more facts came out, it became painfully obvious what a horrible act had happened. I can't fault the WWE for doing either the RAW tribute or retraction statement on ECW; they acted responsibly in both situations. However you do have to question how much the recent controversy over the "fake Vince limo explosion" played a part in how the WWE reacted in handling this. You also have to ask if they could have just cancelled WWE programming for the evening, since they had cancelled the Raw live show already and sent people home.

I've also noticed people commenting on various articles discussing a possible "set-up" or maybe that other suspects were involved in these horrible crimes. I guess we can draw up a bunch of "conspiracy theories" to defend a storied and idolized wrestling superstar. But when the facts are presented by police and the attorney's office, they seem to be painstaking evidence that Benoit committed horrific acts this past weekend.

Reading the latest developments in the deaths and seeing media reports has truly made me sick because I can't conceive what would drive such a legendary performer to do this. He was looked up to by so many fans around the world, youngsters including his own 7 year old son, whos life he took. This tragedy leaves an overall sick feeling in my stomach. I hope that Vince McMahon's statement last night that we are beginning a "healing process" will remain true as we move forward from this tragedy.

I extend my condolences to the families, friends and fans of those lost.

Labels: ,

Contact Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Receive Wrestling updates - Enter your email address:




-BLANK-