Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mysterio Talks Rumble & More


Rey Mysterio recently was interviewed by Kevin Eck at the Baltimore Sun Ring Posts blog. In the interview, Mysterio discusses making it in the WWE despite his smaller stature, his 2006 Royal Rumble win and his thoughts on this Sunday's 30 Man match.

In this part of the interview, Rey discusses winning the 2006 Royal Rumble a few months following the death of his good friend Eddie Guerrero:

Kevin Eck: With the Royal Rumble coming up Sunday, I wanted to ask you about the one that you won in 2006. You were in the midst of the biggest push of your career – winning the Rumble and then going on to win the world title at WresteMania. But your close friend Eddie Guerrero had just died a couple months prior to the Rumble. What was it like from an emotional standpoint to be getting the big push at the same time you were mourning for Eddie, who, in the story line, was your inspiration?

Mysterio: It was a lot to carry, man. Eddie passed away in November, and the Rumble was in January. We had just finished up with a big bang with that whole story line with my son and my wife and Vickie, so it was very emotional. We had not gotten over the fact that Eddie had just left us. And then we had the story line of every time that I wrestled it would be for Eddie. That kind of gave me an inner strength and helped me push through on a daily basis every time I stepped into the ring. In addition to the fact that Eddie had left us, there was a big spot that he left for me to handle and take care of, which was the whole Latin community. There were only two Latin representatives at the time – Eddie and myself – and he left that spot sitting there. It was like he said, “Rey, you’ve got to take this and run with it.” So, there were so many things that I had to think of and process and cherish. It hurt a lot, but at the same time, I pushed through it and I believe Eddie was there every step of the way.


Rey talks about what it's like to compete against bigger opponents versus more agile quick opponents like Evan Bourne. Rey also gives his thoughts on how long his WWE wrestling career may continue for. Read the full Q&A with Rey Mysterio here.

Labels: , , , ,

Contact Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Receive Wrestling updates - Enter your email address:




-BLANK-